- Suffrage Science
Ten Year Anniversary Celebrations
Updated: Mar 1, 2021
On International Woman’s Day in 2011, the inaugural cohort of eleven ‘Suffrage Scientists’ from the 'Life Sciences' were recognised in a ceremony at the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London. Since then nearly 150 scientists and science communicators have joined the Suffrage Science family, from the 'Life Sciences', 'Engineering and Physical Sciences' and 'Maths and Computing.'
Here a few ways in which we will be celebrating this milestone:
- Newsletter (Launches w/c 1st March, 2021): The Suffrage Science Newsletter is a quarterly communication that will share material produced by the team and updates from current and former awardees. Register for the newsletter here.
- Wikipedia edit-a-thon (Friday 5th March, 2021 at 2pm (GMT)): Join the MRC LMS, Dr Jess Wade and Dr Maryam Zaringhalam for a Wikipedia edit-a-thon to update the pages of past Suffrage Science awardees. Find out more and register here.
- March4Women 2021 (Sunday 7th March, 2021): Women’s rights activist and friend of Suffrage Science, Dr Helen Pankhurst, is organising a virtual women’s march this year, with the central message 'Stop Telling Half The Story'. Find out more here.
- The Suffrage Science Podcast (First episodes available on Monday 8th March, 2021): Conversations with an incredible group of women scientific leaders, who have received Suffrage Science awards over the past ten years. Find out more and listen here.
- Awards Night 2021 (Monday 8th March, 2021 at 5.30pm (GMT)): Celebrate the fifth ‘engineering and physical sciences’ awards handover with host Vivienne Parry OBE, keynote speaker Professor Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, and panellists Dr Kat Arney, Dr Mercy Badu and Professor Melinda Duer. Find out more and register here.